Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Nicole Ari Parker - She Ain't Worried About The Skeezas


Nicole Ari Parker sat down to chat it up with Essence. You can read the full interview to find out about her new projects and what it was like working with Martin, Cedric the Entertainer, Omar Epps, and Mo'Nique in Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins. What's more important here is what she says about that ree-diculous fine ass man of hers...Boris.

Essence.com: Now speaking of kissing, is it true you and Boris have a no-tongue rule for kissing? Should other actors in relationships try that too?

N.A.P: It’s partially a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing, like we’re joking and everyone just ran with it. But in a marriage, you make up your own rules everyday. Nobody can tell you how to be a good wife or husband. Boris and I don’t take anything for granted and hopefully we’ll have a lot of years to be able to sit back and say we did it.

Essence.com: It’s amazing to see you guys. We fell in love with your characters and each of you individually on Soul Food. On your website it says growing up you were one of the few women of color at your school and yet you had this dream of being Willona from Good Times. Was playing the sassy Teri an actualization of that dream?

N.A.P.: Teri was kind of just a gift from God. It just dropped in my lap. I remember I wrote in my journal “God, just give me the opportunity to do something for my people and about my people that’s uplifting.” I believe that we have to be so race-conscious in this day and age. Sometimes good Black shows don’t get their fair chance and it lasted way beyond what most Black dramas do. I’m so glad it had such a great impact.

Essence.com: And fans still watch it and fall in love with the characters all over again.

N.A.P.: People still call from across the street “Hey Teri!” And I’m still friends with everybody. Malinda [Williams] is getting married now. I’m one of her bridesmaids. Rockmond [Dunbar] is directing. Vanessa [Williams] just finished performing her one-woman show. Boris is starring in a movie with Bruce Willis. So many wonderful things came out of that cast.


Essence.com: Definitely and even a husband for you! When you first met Boris, did you have any idea you two were going to be a power couple in Hollywood?
N.A.P.: It really was a fairytale. Well, we were in a professional relationship that we didn’t want to ruin and we were both in relationships, so we couldn’t just jump in the bed (Laughs). When we talk to young people about taking their time, I can say that for real. So for about two years, we were just co-workers and we got a chance to talk.

Essence.com: Wow! So when did you fall in love?

N.A.P.: It was love at first sight. It really was. I didn’t even know what to do because it hadn’t happened in a grown-up way ever before. I just let it play out. I took the risk of losing him even, because I really wanted to take my time. You can’t just go out of one relationship and jump into another one, so I had to take my time and get myself together and not take bad habits into the new relationship that was standing before me, and it was great.

Essence.com: So once you guys did become a couple, was it easier to play each other’s love interest on screen?

N.A.P.: Oh, yeah. Do you know how much fun it is? We had the best time on our sitcom so it was just great. I’m sorry Second Time Around [the couple’s 2004 UPN sitcom ]didn’t last. There’s so many politics involved, you never know the real reason something gets cancelled. They said that it was because I got pregnant but then someone else said it was because the humor was so sophisticated, which is ridiculous. But bigger things came out of it.

Essence.com: We know it was love at first sight for you but we’re sure a lot of women must approach you and confess the same feelings for your husband. How do you deal with all the women fawning after your hubby?

N.A.P.: Well first of all, we met each other as famous people, so we were both used to taking pictures and all the things that come along with being a celebrity. In terms of the obsessive love for my husband, it’s really on him. Women really love him and it’s like, I completely understand girl, he’s fine! (laughs) And I love him and I know him, so what they’re feeling I feel ten thousand times more. But the real reason that I don’t trip is because of him and the way he carries himself and the way he keeps his priorities straight. All you can ever go by is how your man treats you and how he makes you feel. And Boris makes me feel like the best thing ever and I appreciate him and love him for that.

Essence.com: That’s beautiful. And it was fun for your fans to see you in Brown Sugar together where you weren’t each other’s love interest. How was that experience to have his on-screen love interest be Sanaa Lathan?

N.A.P.: Well, by the time Brown Sugar came around, I definitely knew that he had to be my boyfriend (laughs). Soul Food was over and we were like, “We have to make this happen.” But it wasn’t until after September 11th and we finished shooting that movie, that we got together and decided, “Let’s do this.” So Brown Sugar was torture!

I can only imagine how many women try and slip their panties in Boris's pocket with the number written on the crotch...and he just throws them away and goes home and gives that good loving to Nicole. DAYUM!

To read the full article click: Lucky NAP

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good interview. I didn't know it all played out like that. For some reason I thought they were together all along during Brown Sugar and everything.