Tuesday, November 10, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance: What Should America Know BoutChu?

First just let me say to my friend Tee...I was so wrong. The show is still two hours. And second, can Ade try to get anymore air time? A few members from last season were in the audience and er'time they showed anybody else in the audience, Ade somehow managed to be cheesin. Anyhoo...they will be performing, along with dancers from Dancing with the Stars and dance crews from America's Best Dance Crew for the Dizzy Feet Foundation on November 29th. For more info or to donate go here: http://www.dizzyfeetfoundation.org/

OK now on to the show!


Karen and Kevin
We learned that Karen and her husband decided to get a divorce after he got cut from Vegas. She said they were having problems before and they grew apart but something tells me that he was hatin and couldn't deal with her makin it and him sittin at home watchin her live their dream. It happens...and she don't seem sad about it. I am so Team Karen! I think Kevin said something about dancing on the Wall of China but I get so distracted by the fact that he doesn't have a top lip that I don't learn much from him.

Anyhoo....they did The Hustle. Now for the most part, I thought they did a good job. I like their partnership, they looked like they were having fun, and they were handlin their steps and owning the performance. BUT I feel like we've seen some WAY better Hustles on SYTYCD. I was kind of bored. I did get a lil interested when I thought he almost dropped her at the end...that would have been really entertaining. But anyway, not great but good. Really good.


Ashleigh and Jakob
So we learn that Ashleigh is a nerd cuz she studied Political Science and History in college and had an internship. Isn't that what most people who go to college do? I thought she was gonna tell us that she knows she is no where near as great a dancer as Jakob is and she wishes he didn't out dance her every week. Then we learned that Jakob's best friend is Jeanine...winner of last season. I still think Brandon was robbed and I'm not over it. I wish Jakob had told us what kind of eyeliner he wears. You know, something useful.

Anyway, they got Jazz. A routine choreographed by Mandy Moore. They had to dance with a cane. My friend calls Jakob "Leaps & Bounds" cuz he out dances Ashleigh consistently by leaps and bounds. The cane was totally unnecessary cuz Ashleigh is his prop. I think this is the first time that she showed she could keep up with him a little bit but I think that is only cuz Mandy's routine had Jakob a tad on simma and workin wit two props. Even with all that, I thought it was a cool routine, not as jazzy as I was expecting, but I enjoyed that.


Pauline and Peter
So we learn that Peter volunteers his time teaching disabled children how to dance. So he's cute and helps the challenged. How can you not love him? Oh Peter. And Pauline eats a lot. She is one of those that is constantly eating but by lookin at her you can't tell. Wasn't there something way more interesting than that to share? I mean you still want the fat vote Pauline! How many fat bitches are gonna hate that you get to stuff your face all day and still weigh 92 pounds? And they got the Quick Step aka The Kiss of Death, just off GP I was already thinkin she will be dancin for her life.

But I actually enjoyed that routine! First of all, Peter looks too cute in that uniform and Pauline really looks like a cute Hula girl. Perfect concept, great story line, and they stayed in character. The choreography was great and it worked for their partnership. I had fun watching them and they look great together. I hope they are not dancing for their lives. CUTENESS!!!!!


Kathryn and Legacy

So we learn that Kathryn likes to help people so she went on mission trips to Costa Rica and built sidewalks for the poor. Legacy was supposed to be a soccer player. He was scouted, got scholarships, but chose to focus his energy for soccer into his dance. Yeah um...their routine better be great.

They got Broadway and um....it was pretty good. I thought Legacy was great and showed a lot of technique and character. While I think Kathryn danced well, I think her performance was a lil lacking. Like I agreed with Adam Shankman's critique in that she was so busy tryna be cute and adorable that she forgot she was supposed to be mad at him and fighting for his attention. So I think Legacy out danced Kathryn BUT I think they work well together and I liked it.



Channing and Victor
So we learn that Channing raced lawn mowers as a little girl. Like was in the newspaper and er'thing. Her daddy would set-up obstacle courses for her to practice on. Did so well she won a trip to Disney World. That's country as hell but it was smart to share that info. You know the country mofos don't have shit else to do but vote. So, well played Channing. Victor, whom I forget about all the time, told us that he went thru a Goth stage and then grew out of it. Ummm, so?

So they got a Contemporary routine choreographed by Stacey Tookey and technically, I thought it was beautiful. Great choreography and just an overall wonderful piece. I thought that for Victor and Channing to be partnered together for the first time, they did a fantastic job. BUT...the whole time I was wishing that somebody else danced this number. Like if Jakob had gotten this piece can you imagine the leaps and bounds he would have taken it? There are just other dancers that would have taken this routine to the next level. So while I thought it was beautiful choreography, I didn't feel it the way I know I could have had it been somebody else dancing.



Ellenore and Ryan
Ellenore tells us that she is made up of six different ethnicities. Didn't feel like rewinding but I heard African-American, Mexican, Hawaiian, Philippine and two others. She said she's a mutt. I guess that is something we could have known about her. She looks black to me and she's hot, so I'm just gonna stick with that. Ryan tells us that he is an extreme sports junkie and has a secret desire to be a super hero in an action movie. I know somebody who has a crush on him who just got a hard on watchin that lil clip and speakin of lil...

Lil C is back and he has them doin a manifestation of his calculations by way of unification and reverbertaion to bring together a Hip-Hop creation. And Ryan fucked that up. In a bad way. He's cuh-learly not a Hip-Hop dancer but he tried. A for Effort tho. Ellenore handled her biz and worked it out. I wasn't that impressed with the routine in general and that had nothing to do with Ryan or Ellenore...that was all Lil C. They might be dancin for their lives.


Mollee and Nathan
So come to find out Mollee is deaf in her left ear. You know you got skills when you can't even hear the music but you can still dance for your life. She totally got the deaf vote with that one! And Nathan told us he likes to jet ski. Boo. I wanted to know if he likes boys or girls. I mean, I think I know but I might could maybe be wrong. But how cute would he and Glambert be together?

Anyhoo....they got Salsa and while I'm impressed that Mollee can do all that being deaf in one ear....just no. Mollee isn't sexy and those characters didn't work for either one of them. They looked like two little kids playing dress up and that's not how I want my Salsa dancers to look. Like if nothing else, you have to look hot and sexy and like you know what you're doing. They were able to handle some of the technical aspects of the routines but their lines, the steps, and just the style of it all didn't work. They didn't sell that at all. And Nathan was one of my faves from the very beginning. I compared him to Brandon from last season. I'm not crazy...I didn't say he was as good technically, but very close. And he's losing my vote. He hasn't really shown me anything great and I know he has the potential to be amazing. Step up your game Nathan! With that said, I think they should be in the bottom but since Mollee is deaf, they might catch some sympathy votes.


Noelle and Russell
Sooo Noelle comes from a big family and her brother had a stroke and only has use of one side of his body and he was her dance inspiration. Mkay. Russell let us know that he isn't just a krumper but he is also a pretty damn great artist. Dude is talented. He has a future in dance or art. I like Russ.

Anyway, so new choreographer Sean Cheesman teaches them an Afro Jazz routine which is in line with the new Disney movie The Princess and the Frog...except in the movie, the Princess's name ain't Noelle it's Tiana and she's Black. But I digress.....that was fuckin awesome! Best performance of the night! YES!!!!!!!!!! They smashed that! The choreography was AMAZING! Go Sean!!! And I believed Russell was the frog! He hit all his lines, he was so believable, and so technically great. I didn't believe Noelle was an African princess but I believed she could do Afro Jazz and that she was necessary to the routine. I loved it!!!! I will break something if these two end up in the bottom.

So this show was better than last week but still not as great as it should be. Is it the talent or the choreography? I think it is a lil of both. If things go as they should, Nathan, Mollee, Ellenore, Ryan, and maybe Peter and Pauline or Karen and Kevin dancin for their lives. It could be anybody other than Russell and Noelle. We'll see tomorrow!

If I see Ade's face one more time....

0 comments: