Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Ya'll Memba KeKe?



So KeKe Wyatt, the singer who had the hit with Avant "My First Love" and she caught a case when she stabbed her husband (although she says she was never charged) is back with a new album called Ghetto Rose. Now vocally, I love me some KeKe Cutta so I'm actually looking forward to what she's putting out and when she disappeared after she sliced and diced her husband I was really like DAYUM this is when bitch needs to put an album out. I will be quick to pop and lock to a "fuck wit me I'll slice off your shit" song....and I mean I will drop it like its on FI-RUH!!!!

Anyway, now that KeKe Cutta is out of hiding, Essence.com has interviewed her to find out what's been good with her. She's funny kinda sorta....she found Jesus (as everyone seems to do when shit is going wrong) and she is also biracial and has a white mother who calls her and her brothers and anyone else nigga....yeah, I was turned off but take a look at some excerpts and to get the whole interview click: KeKe Cutta.

Essence.com: Would you say that’s what happened between you and your husband when you were arraigned for stabbing him?

K.W.: I started my life as a woman at 18. I got married, had a family, and things didn’t quite work out the way I thought they would. You have a fight and crap happens. It made Keke Wyatt really big; my album was in the Top 5. And, of course, it got broadcast to the world, not just in the States but also in Japan, Korea and Europe. Man, everywhere I go—I’ve been touring over all those countries—approach me and say, “You stabbed your husband?” I’m like, “Wow, so you guys heard it all the way over here in London, huh?” And women would tell me, “Ohmigod we prayed for you.” I’m like, Ohmigod (laughs). But I mean, I think it’s cool. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a bad thing to know about me, but at least you know me. Obviously, I was something to somebody, because, they ain’t gonna put your business all over the world if they don’t care.

Essence.com: Do you ever feel awkward when people ask you about the incident?

K.W.: No because I feel like I chose this lifestyle and people are going to be in your business. I did something stupid and it got broadcast all over the world and I have to take it. Some people come up to me and say, “Girl I would have done the same thing, so I don’t blame you!” But I don’t promote violence so don’t do what I did.

Essence.com: Are you and your husband still together?

K.W.: I’m with Jesus, that’s my man.

Essence.com: You’re with Jesus?

K.W.: I tell you what. I know God ain’t gonna lie to me, I know He ain’t gonna cheat on me, I know He’s not going to abandon me, I know He’s going to take care of me and make sure that I have everything I could possibly need and want. So who needs another man if you got that? So I’m cool just raising my family and doing my thang.

Essence.com: There’s nothing wrong with that. Are you divorced?

K.W.: When it’s time to put my business out there, I will. I don’t think it’s anybody’s business if I’m still divorced or married to him. All that matters is that, yes, there was an altercation; yes, I did some things; yes, he did some things; and you can come to your own conclusion on it. If I’m saying yes, then think what you want to think. I’m not going to say, “Yes, I stabbed the n-----; I tried to kill ’im!” I’m not gonna say that because I’m a lady, I’m going to die a lady, and I have respect for myself and others.

Essence.com: Do you have advice for women who might be in an unhealthy relationship?

K.W.: All I have to say to all the women who might be in a bad situation, whether it be domestic violence or him cheating on you or beating your children or strung out on drugs or abandoning you, just get on your knees and pray. If you don’t know who Christ is, just talk to Him for a minute and see if He don’t open your eyes and clear up some stuff. ‘Cause I tell you what, He sure helped me, He really, really did.

Essence.com: What is the biggest misconception you think people have about you?

K.W.: People always say I look really different in person and ask, “What are you mixed with?” Then when I tell them they say, “I thought you were all Black!” I get that a lot because my mother is Caucasian and my father is Indian and Black.

Essence.com: Do you identify as a Black woman?

K.W.: I am a woman. I ain’t like Tiger Woods. The truth is I’m 25 percent Black. I claim to be Black, Indian and I claim to be White. I’m all of it. If you ask me, “What are you?” I’m going to say, “I’m a woman.” I stand up for all women. I don’t care if you’re Black, White, Chinese, whatever. I don’t know what my mama put on my birth certificate…. (Laughs)

Essence.com: So did your mom ever discuss race with you?

K.W.: I know when I was a little girl she would never let me and my brother watch movies that criticized Black people or where White people treated Black people really disgusting, like Roots. She didn’t want us to see how White people treated Black people because she probably thought we might start hating White people.

Essence.com: Was she afraid of how you and your brothers might perceive her?

K.W.: I used to tell her we’re not blind to the fact because we’re sitting there listening to people call her a “n----- lover” or accusing my daddy of being a “sell out” because he’s with a White chick. I told her she didn’t have to hide that stuff from us because we did see and hear about it, and kids did treat us differently.

Essence.com: Did she ever talk to you about the N-word?

K.W.: My mom was raised around African-American people all her life. She can cornrow and everything. All she knows is the African-American way of living, because her stepfather was Black and she was raised by his family. She will use the N-word like it’s going out of style. I say, “Mama you can’t just go around using the N-word,” and she’s like, “I don’t give a damn. I say what I want to say. N---a ain’t no color, it’s an ignorant person.”

Essence.com: But that word is still synonymous with Black folk. So you couldn’t watch Roots, but she used the N-word around you and your siblings?

K.W.: No, she doesn’t say “n---er,” she says “n---a” and says it in front of everybody, every day. She has always said it since I was a little girl. Hell, I thought my name was “n---er” for a long time. We never thought about it being a bad word.

Essence.com: Wow. So she didn’t want you to watch Roots, but she referred to you and your brother with the N-word? Do you think it’s time for her to stop using it?

K.W.: People should feel free to say what they want to say as long as they don’t use it to hurt other people. I don’t think “n---a” is a bad word. I don’t think it’s directed toward people of color. Now, the word “n---er,” if you call me that, I will kick your a-- because now you’re trying to be nasty and hurt my feelings. It depends on how you’re using it.

Essence.com: But do you really think it’s enough of a distinction between the two to make exceptions?

K.W.: Yes, because back in the day they were saying it with the “er” on the end. I think it’s just like saying Negro, because the word in the dictionary it means “ignorant person.”

Essence.com: Yes, and many people still believe that “ignorant people” equals “Black people.”

K.W.: At the end of the day, you’re the one who is ignorant. I don’t think people should use the word so much. I hate how everyone thinks that Black people are beneath them, even Asians, Whites and ...Mexicans. No, I’m not all Black, but I definitely stand up for the Black people. They’ve had it rough, they can’t help the fact that they’re skin is dark, or that their nose is a lil’ wider or that the curls in their hair might be tighter than yours. I don’t think that it’s fair for people who look like me with the light skin, pointy nose and the pretty hair to think that dark-complected people are any less than them. Who am I? I’m not better than you. I breathe the same air and I bleed the same blood. Nobody is better than anybody else. We are all in this struggle called life. I think brown skin is beautiful because people like me have to lay out in the sun to try and look like you. My best friends are Black—Black-Black—and I think that’s so beautiful. I think that’s why I decided to make my children Black. I could have married a White dude or got with a White man and my kids probably would have looked completely White. That’s not what I wanted. Now, they can go outside and get a for-real tan (laughs). I think Black is beautiful. I stand for the African-American people until the day I die.

0 comments: