Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Rising Star: Keri Hilson

If you even buy CDs anymore, how often do you take the time to read the writing credits in the liner notes? Well if you are one of those that actually pays attention to such details, then you should already be very familiar with Keri Hilson. She has written for everybody and their cousin's mother. Mary J., Britney, Puff, Usher, J. Lopez and the list goes on. She has done vocal guest spots on a few hits so if you didn't know she was writing most of your favorite bangers, you've seen and heard her. You know that Keri is hot to def -- um, have ya'll seen her in Usher's new "Love in This Club" video with her see through shiny body suit on doin some type of acrobatic move around Usher's neck and working that back arch and booty pout -- and she can sing. For real.


Keri recently did an interview with Essence.com and she discusses the car accident that changed her life and what we can expect on her new album.

About the car accident:
“I walked out of a car that was four wheels up and smashed,” she reveals. “I had fallen asleep at the wheel.” While working double duty majoring in theater at Emory College and trying to keep up with the late night music scene, Hilson found herself climbing out of a flipped vehicle bloody armed and bruised. “I was burning it at both ends,” she sighs. “It taught me that you can’t want it at any cost. You have to be realistic about your dream. It’s not about the quantity of time you spend, but the quality of work that you put in.”


About the album:
With a personal style described as “retro” and “vintage” and musical tastes ranging from Mariah Carey, Lauryn Hill, Feist, and Bobby Brown – “Tenderoni” is one of my all time favorite songs,” she declares – it makes sense that she’d choose “emotional” and “fun” to depict her debut. “I call it In a Perfect World because everyone has something in their life they would change if they could.” And change is definitely coming upon this songstress, but she’ll assure you she’s ripe for the shift. “I’m ready. I’m focused. I’m glad it’s finally here!”

I'm really feelin Keri and I'm thinking she might be one to watch....

0 comments: