Thursday, May 22, 2008

Ray J "Unplugged"



Essence.com took a minute to talk to Ray J....with the success of his song "Sexy Can I" and his women Whitney and Lil Kim, Essence.com figured he might shed some light on some things....and so we can just assume that he's fuckin both of them....ew.

Essence.com: (Laughs) Did you propose to Whitney over the phone—I would hope not through the wire?

R.J.: No. I respect all the young men who are getting married and taking a stand to be faithful and having a good woman in their life who supports them. That’s a good, good look for young men. I congratulate all the young men with the older women who are helping these young men to grow and the young men for keeping the excitement in a beautiful woman’s life. So with that said, I don’t know…

Essence.com: So you don’t know if you proposed to Whitney?

R.J.: I can’t say what happened. All I can say is that young men are being responsible, taking control and being bosses, that’s what I’m doing right now.

Essence.com: So you’re not going to go on record on whether or not you proposed?

R.J.: Yeah, I’m just going to say it’s good for men and women to connect and have a spiritual bond so I congratulate everyone who’s doing that right now.

Essence.com: (Laughs) And does that also mean congratulations to you and Whitney?

R.J.: (Laughs) I’d like to congratulate Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey.

Essence.com:(I read him the mediatakeout.com blog item about his proposal)

R.J.: (Laughs) Wow, Blessings to the United States of America! Blessings, blessings…

Essence.com: (Laughs) I get it “blessings” is your “no comment.” So you won’t confirm or deny the proposal?

R.J.: I can’t right now. You know, things happen so fast. Wow.

Essence.com: I also know that celebrities often have someone in their camp planting the seed for the media to grow and build on.

R.J.: Yeah, but I just woke up for real. For real, this is crazy.

Essence.com: Okay let’s make it more simple, are you and Whitney a couple?

R.J.: You know what? She’s a great friend of mine.

Essence.com: “Great friend” as in a platonic or romantic friend?

R.J.: Just a great friend. You know, I would say a friend who loves a friend.

Essence.com: How long have you and Whitney been friends?

R.J.: Since I was like young she’s been cool with my sister. If it wasn’t for Whitney my sister probably wouldn’t even be in the game because that’s who she studied every day. Then to have the chance to meet her, follow her and learn from her and develop her own style, that’s priceless. Whitney is my sister’s mentor. So I’d say, Whitney and I met when I was 11 or 12, I don’t really remember.


Essence.com: The last few years have been tough for Whitney. What are your hopes for her as she prepares for her comeback? R.J.: She’s a great person and one of the greatest artists ever to do it and people want to see that experience again and that’s what I want to see and I know that’s what she wants as well and that’s the plan.

Essence.com: There has also been speculation that your song “Boyfriend” allegedly addresses what Bobby Brown failed to do for Whitney. Is that true?

R.J: [He begins singing the lyrics 'Is that your wife/ is that your shorty/well I'm her boyfriend/I think the problem is you don't beat it right/Making love is cool/just pull her hair sometimes' ] That part? No, not at all. I didn’t even write that song. When I heard the record I thought it was a great concept and I usually write everything. I only added it when I was about to wrap the album up I just felt it was so real and I just went there on this album.

Essence.com: How is your relationship with Bobby Brown?

R.J.: They are all great people. I’m a big fan of Bobby Brown’s. He’s the greatest R&B artist of all time so I have much respect for him and the whole family.

Essence.com: So you two don’t have beef?

R.J.: No, not at all. If I see him out it’s all love. Like I said, I have much respect for him and what he’s accomplished in his career.

Essence.com: So is Lil’ Kim your girlfriend?

R.J.: You know what she’s someone who inspires me and played a big part in my “Sexy Can I” single so I pay homage to her as someone who’s on my side.

Essence.com: So you and Lil’ Kim are platonic friends?

R.J.: It’s more than that, we’re building dynasties.

Essence.com: Up until this point in your life, what is the one thing you’ve discovered about yourself?

R.J.: That I’m growing—literally. I’m taking care of myself—working out, running—and I’m just focused and getting better.


To read the rest of the interview go to Essence.com

0 comments: