Thursday, June 19, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance?

One of my favorite shows is back....and this season its not a game. I didn't see So You Think You Can Dance last week until days later, so I didn't blog about it, but I had my leotard and ballet slippers on last night ready to dance for my life.

OK, so if you don't watch SYTYCD then just skip to the next post. Or maybe you might want to read about the fact that Britney Spears is now an auntie. Yup, Jamie Lynn done had her baby. It's a girl and she named it Maddie Briann. Hmph.

Now for those of you that are SYTYCD fanatics, were you pumped or disappointed by last night's show? My 'Love It' meter was on low...people didn't work it out like they did last week -- but I'm blaming a lot of that on costumes, song selection and partners.


First up, was Chelsea and Thayne: Last week we watched Chelsea and Thayne....well really Chelsea KILL it in this hot cha-cha number and all you really saw was Chelsea in this purple barely there ensemble shakin that ass, while workin her hair, and just handlin the leg work. She was amazing. This week, they were supposed to be telling some King and his unrequited love story while doing some kind of jazz number. First of all, wasn't shit jazzy about that dance. Secondly, WTF did they have them wearing?! No King would want no lady looking like the court jester. They had Chelsea in some bullshit. And Thayne looked like he could be the King's manicurist. Seriously. Now while I think Chelsea tried her best to work it out, and it was OK, it was just a huge backslide from starting out so strong last week. Chelsea is one of my faves and she's hot. I'm scared tho because the couple that went first last week went home. Cross your fingers for Chels ya'll.


Next was Chelsie (yeah, everybody has the same name this season) and Mark: Last week Chelsie and Mark did a beautiful Mia Michael's piece and I was beyond moved when they did a lift in which Mark basically folds Chelsie in half and she slides down him and all you can see is her toes. Amazing! I asked somebody if they could lift me and fold me in half like that....and well, the answer was no. Not even a try. Anyhoo....Mia Michaels's choreography is off the chain, her judging...well I'll get to that. Anyway, this week Chelsie and Mark were just as great. They did the Tango and they worked it out. And can I just say that I love Mark. He's hot. And did Cat Deely really need to get down on the floor and get Chelsie's baby toe back in her shoe? Mark was helping her already. Doin too much Cat.


Jessica and Will: Watching Will dance is such a pleasure. He is an Alvin Ailey trained dancer and because he has trained under the beyond amazing Debbie Allen, Debbie can no longer be a judge on the show. This is how good he is people. Last week he was in the bottom three, I guess Jessica was too. But he didn't deserve to be there. And it was because they danced the waltz and Jessica just isn't as good as he is. Last night they got Hip-Hop. Will smashed it, of course. Jessica did OK but it is just obvious that she has to step her game up to keep up with her partner and if they end up in the bottom ever again it is because of her. And actually, it doesn't even matter, if Will has to dance for his life each week, he'll never go home. He really is just that good. Nigel says every week that he will be in the final 4. And yup, he will.


Kourtni and Matt: They did a fox trot. I like them because they are tall as hell and they both are so technically skilled and because in different lights, Kourtni looks like Uma Thurma. They were in the bottom three last week and while Kourtni danced for her life, Matt made it back by the skin of his relevé. They were aight last night so I think they might be safe, but they aren't memorable, so Matt better work on pullin that broom stick out his butt. Nigel's words. Not mine.


Courtney & Gav: These two bore me a bit. They did a disco last week and they were cute. Courtney was workin it. I couldn't see past Gav's exposed chest hair. This week they did a modern dance that was good. I wasn't overly impressed but since they should have been in the bottom three last week (and not Will & Jessica) they might end up there this week.


Katee and Joshua: OK here we go. I. LOVE. THEM!!! Last week they shut it down with their Hip Hop dance to Jordin Spark's 'No Air' and this week they did a Broadway routine. The choreography was off the chain and they just worked it. I mean, if I saw that on Broadway I would have been beyond entertained and happy I spent my money. Nigel got up out of his seat and did a happy dance because that is how you are supposed to do the damn thing. He kept saying, "Joshua is a popper!" (In his British accent it sounds like "poppa") You can't take your eyes off of them. They are such a great pair and Joshua, with his dimples and braces, is just so magnetic. They are ridiculous. But really, Joshua is dope. They are going far.


Susie and Marquis: Before each couple performed they had to tell what they like and don't like about their partner. Susie said that she doesn't like that Marquis is always eating before they perform - like chips and stuff - and then he blows his stink breath in her face. Marquis said he doesn't like Susie's hair because she is always swinging that shit in his face. Do you see her hair? Right. He was really saying that he simply hates her hair and she needs to take those fugly ass pieces out. They don't really like each other and its obvious that they don't have a good pairing. Last week they did a waltz or something. And they did a pretty good job. Last night they did the Salsa. Here is the thing. Susie is Cuban and Marquis is Puerto Rican. Susie IS a Salsa dancer. This shit should have been HOT like fire. And that shit was weak. It was just not good. I mean they had this move where he put her on his shoulders and spins her off in his arms but other than that it was so wack and so disappointing. All the judges were like boo and boo. These two are goin home. Unless Marquis can dance for his life like nobody's business. I don't see Susie beatin any of the girls in the dance for life.


Kherrington & Twitch: I like these two. I like Twitch because he is silly and he can dance. Kherri is pretty and she too can make it do wut it do on the floor. Last week they did a Broadway number that was great. This week they did a dance in which the choreographer did for his daughter who is basically mentally challenged and has no motor skills but lights up when she sees people move. So they do this beautiful dance to Celine Dion's Angel song and when it is over, Mia Michaels says 'it was great it, was good, but Kherrington, you didn't need to smile throughout the piece. You need to be more realistic and it was about the daughter who doesn't have motor skills'. So Nigel says it isn't about the daughter it is about the movement and how happy the daughter is when she sees people moving. So Mia realizes that she is basically saying that you shouldn't smile when dancing about mentally challenged people with no motor skills. Right. Moving on....


Comfort & Chris: Comfort is another one of my faves. I like her sassy attitude, she's cute and the fact that she's a hip hopper. So after doing the Jive last week, this week seemed like it would be their week because they got Krumpin. Only problem is, Chris aka Christina ain't never done a Krump or a pump or a pop-n-lock a day in his life. So I was like oh boy, how in da hell is this goin to look. I also think these two are a bad match. Chris is really tall and I don't think he is one of the best dancers. While Comfort is tiny and just dope. It's like Chris has to keep up with Comfort and that's not her fault. Anyway, Chris actually does a pretty good job krumpin. I think Lil C, the choreographer kept it simple for Chris and that is why I think Comfort didn't tear it up like I think she could have. I also thought the music selection was the worst. These two might be in the bottom three. And did Nigel tell Chris that his granny is more gangsta than he is? Yes, he did.

And lastly, Fuck was Mary wearin last night?!

Anyway, SYTYCD is the best and in truth, the dancers this season are all amazing....but they don't know nothin about how F.U. gets down. I'll let ya'll know when I get my ticket to Vegas. In the mean time, stay tuned for my re-caps.

0 comments: