Friday, July 25, 2008

When Daddy Leaves....


So, other than laughing at Foxy's XXL cover which looks like a 1989 Sears glamour shot, I didn't post anything about her actual interview where she talks about how she was Bonnie to Jay-Z's Clyde and when she needed him most - he just wasn't there. When she lost her hearing he didn't call her...which could be because he knew she wouldn't be able to hear him if he did call BUT she also said that when she was in jail, everybody came to see her except Jay. I didn't post this because, well right now I'm a bit over Foxy. That actually sucks for me to say because Foxy was actually my favorite female MC. When girls were reppin Lil Kim I was always like its all about Fox Boogie. However, while both Kim and Inga have turned into hot ass messes in their own ways, Foxy is a whole notha situation for me. She didn't have to do the jail thing and turn to beatin people up with blackberries or weave glue bottles and smackin up nail people. And she most certainly didn't have to put herself in situations where she was getting jumped by some pimp's hos. All of her energy should have gone into making dope music and hiring a personal make-up artist who would never ever allow her to wear that god awful cotton candy pink lipstick.

I also chose not to talk about this Foxy and Jay thing because I figured Foxy ran off at her mouth or did something and Jay was just over it. I felt like he prolly had just cause to stop fuckin with her. HOWEVER, now I'm starting to think it may be something more to this whole thing. After Foxy fell off and Jay moved on to bigger and better, I think that whole period of time for Foxy was really hard for her. She was obviously acting out like an abandonded child would and her split with Jay was clearly more traumatizing than we all could have ever imagined.

This revelation has come because another one of Jay's protege's has come out and said she too was abandonded by Jay. Teairra Mari says that she was just dropped and never heard from Jay ever again. In an interview with AllHipHop.com, Teairra Mari talks about how it all went to down.



AHHA: You were one of Jay-Z’s premiere artists when he took over Def Jam as president, unveiling the new Roc line-up. What happened to your deal and relationship with Roca-A-Fella/Def Jam?

Teairra Mari: I'm going to be totally honest; I don't know what happened. I just got a call out of the blue because I had gotten cut my second advance and everything to record my second album. I got a call one day. They were just like, “Yeah we're going to be letting you go. You’re young and we believe you will be able to have a prosperous career without us,” just kind of like throwing me out in the cold really. That’s how I kind of look at it, because we were all supposed to be like a close family.

I called Jay-Z my father; he was like a second father to me. Tracy Waples, I called her a second mother. So to just be thrown out – and I didn't get a call from Tracy or Jay – it was a bit heartbreaking. You know we live and we learn, but just me being that young and inexperienced I didn't know. So I took it pretty hard.

AHHA: What was going through your mind at the time and after the call?

Teairra Mari: You don't understand…my heart just dropped to the floor, because I wasn't expecting it. It came from nowhere. I'm thinking we are about to be on the road for the second album because I had already gotten my advance. It was really heartbreaking. I kept it a secret for like two or three months from everybody – my mom, my close friends – I couldn't tell anybody. I had to deal with it myself before I let it out to anybody else.

Let me tell you…that tore me down. I had 19 years of living with myself, and that tore down every piece of confidence I had. I had to rebuild from scratch. I wasn't expecting that, so when it came it was just like, damn homey. It’s cool now, I can laugh at it now. It’s pretty funny, but at the time it was pretty heart breaking; it was a lot to deal with.
AHHA: Is there still a relationship at all with Jay-Z?

Teairra Mari: There is no relationship there at all. I haven't heard from him since that time. I think I sent him a happy birthday message because his birthday is two days after mine, like two years ago and since then it's been nothing. And I don't want it to be – Actually, it's fine because I was a young girl. If you could come into a young girl’s life and then just throw her on the curb, you put this father presence on and then be like, “I’m done with it.” I don’t want a relationship like that.

This is in any situation when you have success then everybody is on it, everybody is on board, everybody is rolling with it. But when you have something that fails to succeed, then everybody is off it; everybody has something to say about it. When you have something that is successful, people they look at all of the good things of the situation like they look over the bad things. That’s why you have people with bad attitudes, because they don’t have people around them to put them in their places.

Because they think things are going good, just on board as a “yes man.” But then you have people that fail to succeed that people believe in, that’s me. I’m in that situation, I see both sides. I see how people can be on you one second and then totally off of you and not even call you to see if you’re still living or not.


For her to be so young and for them to just call her up and be like, yeah we're not fuckin with you anymore but um, good luck with that...that's rather harsh. And then to not hear those words with a plausible reason from Jay himself is what clearly hurts the most. I wasn't a fan of Teairra so other than the one song I know she had, I don't know how well her music did but I don't think she deserved that. I wonder what that is really all about. I mean other than the fact that the music industry is full of people who only love you when your hot and will definitely kick your ass to the curb when you're not, these people had what sounds like real relationships with Jay and he threw them away without a thought. I can't help but look at Jay with the side eye now. I mean, nothing Foxy or Teairra Mari can say will make people feel any differently about Jay-Z but I think it does allow us all to see that people - especially people in the entertainment business - feel like they don't owe anybody anything. I think she was supposed be happy she got her second advance OR just happy that Jay and whoever else even allowed to have the little success she had.

In any case, it seems like Teairra is still trying to make a career for herself on her own and if nothing else, she has learned a major lesson. This experince, I'm sure has only made her stronger, wiser and better. Foxy on the other hand, maybe now that she's with a former correctional officer, he'll keep her in line and she can figure out how to make a major come back.

0 comments: