Saturday, January 24, 2009

Black People.....SERIOUSLY?!



Sooooooooo, during this historic moment in which all the world has celebrated, and most specifically this moment that has been celebrated and absorbed by Black people in ways that I don't believe any other race can fully understand, there are Black people who are MAD. WHY, WHY, WHY??? When your president is Black and hasn't even been in office for a full week yet, WHY is there anger?

Sigh.....it seems the The Black Artists Association is not happy that Michelle Obama did not wear any designs by an African American designer. Seriously?? We can't just be happy that we have a beautiful Black woman runnin shit in the White House?! We can't just be happy that no matter who she wore, she looked absolutely stunning?! We can't just be happy, can we?

Per New York Magazine:
BAA Cofounder Amnau Eele, who was a runway model for Yves Saint Laurent, Giorgio Armani, and Bill Blass, told WWD, “It’s fine and good if you want to be all ‘Kumbaya’ and ‘We Are the World’ by representing all different countries. But if you are going to have Isabel Toledo do the inauguration dress, and Jason Wu do the evening gown, why not have Kevan Hall, B Michael, Stephen Burrows or any of the other black designers do something too?” Eele plans to make a formal appeal to Michelle's office. WWD adds:

Asked if perhaps the First Lady isn’t looking at the world colorlessly, Eele said, “It’s one thing to look at the world without color but she had seven slots to wear designer clothes. Why wasn’t she wearing the clothes of a black designer? That was our moment.”


Did she really say we could be all "Kumbaya" if we want to? You know what, I can't. Hell yeah I'm all Kumbaya right about now! Michelle could have easily chosen any of the more recognized designers, but she went with lesser known designers and she clearly went with what SHE LIKED! In the same way that her husband got elected, I think she chose her outfits going with what worked best for her and the special occasion and not by whether or not the designer was black, green, or yellow. And she chose two minority designers at that.

As you said, this is our moment Amnau Eele and you're ruining it with this bullshit. Of course it would have been spectacular for a Black designer to get the recognition that Jason Wu and Isabel Toledo have gotten, but the fact is, that just isn't the case and it is disgustingly petty for this to be an issue. I mean is it not bad enough that Mariah is mad cuz she didn't get better seats at the inauguration? Couldn't just be happy that she was there and that she got to perform. Really people, come da fluff on!

Our president is Black so I understand that we all have this great sense of entitlement but let us keep in mind that the new First Family is all about one love, man. I know it is hard for many of us to be of that mind-set, of course, but can we at least try not to focus on the dumb shit and finding ways to create negative drama for no reason? Let us just be thrilled that we finally have people on our side who actually care about us and our issues, mkay? Thanks.

10 comments:

one little simitopian said...

I am totally with you here F.U! Michelle saw a dress she loved, and thought "Oooh! That's nice! I'll wear THAT!".It looks gorgeous on her, she feels good in it. End of story.
For reasons I can totally respect, I realise that some black americans still have a lot of resentment towards white americans.
As an outsider to the country, (i'm an Aussie) It's probably not really my place to say anything about that, but what I WILL say is this: A lot of white people voted for Barack, so see this as positive evidence of a willingness to unify at last! It's a really amazing, positive thing!
Anyways, I'm happy for America, and for the Presidents wife to wear whatever the hell she wants!
Much lovey stuff, simi xox

F.U. said...

Simi, have I yet told you how much I preciate your comments and that I get a kick out of the fact that you are an Aussie and you love this blog? Seriously, I love it! A
nyway, its all about unity, trying to let go and seeing how we're all being uplifted in this process. We're tryin....some of us need to try harder.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Ms. Eele.
These same clowns hated Martin Luther King jr in the 60's for speaking up, today he's their Hero.
blacks are sick and they don't mind spending their money with and supporting people that hate them.
none of the designers the first lady is wearing support black models for their shows or ads.
The runways of fashion are all white.
so why would a black woman support a designer that has never booked a black girl to walk his runway?
some blacks have no dignity.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you fix your blog where all the comments can be read ?

F.U. said...

Anonymous - first of all, the comments can be read, so I don't need to fix shit. I'm not sure what you're talkin bout...some people choose to leave comments, others choose to email, point is, I don't monitor comments and anybody who wishes to say whatever they like - whether they agree or disagree - can feel free.

Also, I'm not sure whether you are trying to uplift or put down black people. "Black people are sick?" Really? I know Black people have issues, as every race in this country does. I also know that for the most part, Black people support other Black people whenever possible. I think the election of President Obama proves that.

Are you familiar with Jason Wu and Isabel Toledo? Have you been to all of their shows? Have you seen their ads? Funny, it seems they were unkown until now. How the hell do you know what models they use? How do you know they don't have Black designers that work with them? Maybe you work for them or maybe you are in the fashion industry (altho I seriously doubt that)....and even if you are, how much of your closet is filled with designers that don't support Black people? I bet it is more than half. I even wonder if you are Black.

And are you really trying to say that Michelle Obama has no dignity?! You are so in need of a bitch slap.

I want Amnau Eele to stay strong too. I want her to know that whether or not Michelle Obama wore black designers, because of her hard work and sacrifice and that of her husband, black designers and black people will be able to do more than ever before. And at the end of the day, isn't that the point? Why are we tearing down our new leaders who want nothing more than for all of us to succeed and find peace and prosperity in this world? And over a dress? I can't.

ToshaRenelle said...

Wow, at first I was mad about the woman's comments in the post, but now it's the commenter that has me fired up! And I hate anonymous commenters that talk shit! COWARDS!

Anonymous said...

As a person of color who works in fashion (I run wholesale and p.r. for a french rtw label) I'm glad Michele chose American designers. AND lesser heard American designer. At a time when lesser known designers need all the attention they can get so they don't go bankrupt. And WTF Eele, she chose a minority designer in both Toledo and Wu?! So STFU and STFD. It's really abysmal out here in fashion right now. And Michelle has 4 years (hopefuly 8)to wear some Byron Lars and Tracy Reese. Eele clearly isnt working anymore is reaching for relevancy. She need to go to Joann fabrics and get a sewing machine. Start a line. Do something, other than complain.

Elle said...

Well said Geoffrey!

Happiest Nappy said...

Wow. Michelle chose a dress. She wore it to THE Ball. She was gorgeous. She danced with her soulmate and our President. And then an "organization" wants to balk about her choice of a designer.

Damn. Is that all this moment means?

As if she does not have four more years to wear whatever designer presents a piece to her. That means she has AT LEAST 1,460 more outfits to wear and will only have to wear ONE time. Don't forget she can change up to three times a day while facing the public.

Amnau Eele and cohorts, GTFOH. I am so glad her choice in clothing does not define her intelligence or what this President has to offer this world.

Going back to my music. This is pissing me off. That is exactly why I spend my money on sale items at Walmart, KMart, Target...hell, second hand stores. Makes no sense to me at all this nonsense about designers getting made at Michelle.

Happiest Nappy said...

made = MAD. See? I am all aggravated by the B.S.