Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What's In A Name?


"In Swahili, Kanye means "the only one." If Kanye West does nothing else, he knows how to make sure the world knows that he is indeed the 'only one' and he most certainly always does that by giving great interviews. Sometimes you read the articles with a screw face the entire time thinkin this dude is on some extra shizz and he needs to put that on simma, other times you just laugh the whole read cuz you can't believe his audacity. No matter what you think of Kanye, the truth is, he's like, totally gay....and I love it.

Kanye on how he got into making beats:
“First beat I did was in seventh grade, on my computer. I got into doing beats for the video games I used to try to make. My game was very sexual. The main character was, like, a giant penis. It was like Mario Brothers, but the ghosts were, like, vaginas. Mind you, I’m 12 years old, and this is stuff 30-year-olds are programming. You’d have to draw in and program every little step—it literally took me all night to do a step, ’cause the penis, y’know, had little feet and eyes.”

Kanye on being the voice of this generation:
“If not me, then who? Someone could be a better rapper, dance better. But culturally impacting? When you look back at these four and a half years, who’s the icon at the end of the day? Who broke down color barriers? What other black guy would a white person use as a fashion reference?”

On turning negatives into positives (ex. the word “gay”):
“Take the word gay—like, in hip-hop, that’s a negative thing, right? But in the past two, three years, all the gay people I’ve encountered have been, like, really, really, extremely dope. Y’know, I haven’t, like, gone to a gay bar, nor do I ever plan to. From a design standpoint, kids’ll say, ‘Dude, those pants are gay.’ But if it’s, like, good, good, good fashion-level, design-level stuff, where it’s on a higher level than the average commercial design stuff, it’s, like, gay people that do that. I think that should be said as a compliment. Like, ‘Dude, that’s so good it’s almost . . . gay.’”

Don't most artistic greats start off creating a vagina that chases a penis in video games?

Source

2 comments:

one little simitopian said...

*giggles* Oh kanye! Pure gold!

thundacat said...

i cant with him....i blogged bout him the other day....i am just so over Phillip Micheal Thomas of our generation..aka...walking advertisement for 1982...aka so good its almost Gay, Kanye....SO. OVER. HIM!!! i cant any more!