Friday, June 22, 2007

Chrisette Michele: If I Had My Way

I've been waiting for Chrisette's album to drop for a very long minute. I was first introduced to Chrisette's music at a listening event last year and I literally fell in love with her voice. I was beyond impressed and I asked my friend, who works in the industry, when we could expect her album. She said, "They have her on a diet and they are trying to fix her image. She has to lose weight first." I just stared at her for a minute because I couldn't believe she said that to me and was so matter-of-fact about it. She being an industry insider sees and deals with such bullshit on a regular basis but I still don't get it. She told me, she's competing with the Beyonces, the Ciara's, the Cassie's.....that's when I lost it. I said um, excuse me did you say Cassie? She laughed as I went off on a tangent about how Cassie is the most tone deaf, non-singing, fuck you for tracks bitch out there. But just cuz she's a pretty blasian with hair down to her ass and she's skinny, she can put out an album and even have Diddy defend her horrible singing by saying that she was nervous. Are you fucking kidding me? But that's the music industry in a nutshell. A talented and beautiful singer (in the same vein of Jill Scott and Jennifer Hudson) gets pushed to the side until she meets the weight requirements of the record label. Isn't that about a bitch?!

But I digress because Chrisette's day has come (and she is thinner than when I first saw her but still curvy thank goodness) and her album I AM is finally here for all of us to digest and revel in. My girl is deep and her voice is beautifully pure. Her first video...Enjoy!

0 comments: