Tuesday, June 12, 2007

How Big Is Your Rock?

So I came across an interesting article entitled Diamonds are a Girl's Worst Friend: The Trouble With Engagement Rings and I thought, seriously what could the trouble be? I mean as a bitch who has been there and done that (you know, got married way too young to someone with three moms and slacker issues (among others)...shout out to everyone who bought something off the registry tho!) I did it all wrong and tho I vow NEVER to sign a contract to spend my life with someone "forever" ever again, I do plan to make the man I allow to share my space for as long as I want him to, purchase me a fabulous ring just cuz. I also plan to have a "We in Love and Stuff and Could Use a Gas Grill" party, you know just cuz. Anyhoo, back to my ring. The ring, to me, wouldn't symbolize anything except that I wanted it and my man bought it. It would be another piece of jewelry that I picked out (or at least pointed out during a trip to the mall or provided the Tiffany's ad by leaving it on the sofa with the remote to the TV on top by 'accident') and rock everyday. Plain and simple. See the guy I married before barely had a job and picked out the ring on his own. It was nice enough for what he was working with (and at the time I wore it proudly) but of course when I tried to sell it after the divorce I didn't get but a couple of pennies for it (thanks for the clouds in my stones boo!). Hence why you don't do such things when you don't have a pot to piss in AND why the whole concept of engagement and marriage is a joke.

Anyway, this article essentially says that the engagement ring is a crock of shit and breaks down how we as a culture (men and women alike) have been brain washed into spending lots of money (on average two month's pay) on something that women really wear to show that someone actually wanted to marry them (and to rub it in other bitches faces, especially if the rock is serious, and hell even when the ring is rather invisible or cubic z lookin cuz at the end of the day that bitch is getting married and you're not) and men buy because well, some of them actually have to pay for the forever ass. Not to mention all of the money that then goes into wedding bands, the dress, and the never ending list of crap that constitutes an actual wedding ceremony.

The point is that marriage (and children and the whole concept of family) is nothing but consumerism at its best. It is economic brain washing that plays on the emotions of women (and men, I guess) who long to have their day. Well as a bitch who has had her day (and is one of millions who have had their day and 2 or 3 or more days cuz they clearly didn't learn the lesson that shit really isn't better the 2nd time around) unless your man is sitting on serious stacks, save your money and travel the world with your man, buy a house, make smart investments but hell yeah, make him buy you a fat ass ring....you know, just cuz.

P.S. No I'm not bitter and F.U. too bitch!

3 comments:

Elle said...

"No clouds in my stones!" LOLZ!!! I knew you couldn't go too many posts without an Umbrella (ella ella eh) reference. Well played, F.U., well played.

n0days0ff said...

so f.u. you gonna get the dude a ring too lol.thats how women be sometimes.making you buy shit they dont even really want just to make you spend.you know you my girl.

F.U. said...

n0 now you know I'm not gettin dude a ring....I mean unless he really wants one and even then, prolly not.

And when my man gets my ring it will be very much something I want. I promise he won't be spendin just cuz.

I hope you puttin them stacks away for Lil Mama's bling!