Friday, August 15, 2008

Scene Stealin On The Set Of Miss Independent

So Ne-Yo's new song, 'Miss Independent', has struck a cord with many a independent female...the one who is handlin her own business, takin care of herself and payin her own bills etc. For the video, three of the cutest independent women make appearances; Lauren London, Gabby Union, and Keri Hilson. All three are lookin independently scrumptious while Ne-Yo looks he would much rather be spendin time at the water cooler with Mr. How U Doin.








I may be one of small few who isn't all that pumped about this song. Yeah, I sing it when it comes on the radio, and after lookin at these pics, I'm sure I'll love the video even more. However, I just want to say that I love an ode to women who are doing their thing and taking care of ourselves etc. I, for one, lean a lil more towards Mary J. Blige's words in 'Feel Like A Woman'..."I'm tired of screaming independent. I wanna start depending on you." Women, black women especially, take care of ourselves whether we have help or not, and while it is lovely when men can appreciate that, I am more happy when they let you know that "hey, I know you can pay your car note or your mortgage and can take yourself on a shopping spree, but let me handle that." We can be as independent as we want to be, but I need for men to stand up and play their position. And as Iyanla said, two things can't occupy the same space. There can only be one man. So stay independent ladies, but be sure to let your man be the man. Make sure he eats his Ps.

Image Source

0 comments: