Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sigh....

What's in a name? Quite a lot. The name your parents give you at birth ultimately defines who you are - now of course the person you are is more than your name but let's be honest, before you even meet Ra' Naquisha or DayQuon you already have a preconceived notion of the ghettoness that is to follow. And on a serious note, there is evidence and proof that people with "black sounding" names find it harder to find jobs as their resumes get thrown away and it is much more difficult to grow within their chosen profressions. (Read this)

Sometimes the name is not so bad, or so you think, until you learn the pronunciation. One of my best bitches Bella sent me an email with the following information:

How would you pronounce this child's name??? Her name is Le - a.

Leah? NO
Lee - A? NOPE
Lay - a? NO
Lei? Guess Again.

Are you resorting to tongue clicks yet?

It's pronounced 'Ledasha'! Ohhhhh yes...you read it right. The dash is not silent.

This child attends a school in Livingston Parish in Louisiana ! Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong!

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash.

When the mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said 'the dash don't be silent.'

The dash isn't silent. Da hell??? My goodness. I just can't even understand how that name is even thought of. Ledasha - no matter how its spelled - is not a cute name in the least. But the fact that this bitch thought to use a dash in the spelling but make it silent - I can't and I'm done.

Just one last thing. Puh-lease people, think about the fact that whatever name you give your child is for their entire life and will affect everything they do. Creativity is wonderful. Stupidity is damaging. Fortunately for Le-a she can just tell people her name is Leah - or let's hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about this from a co worker who's family member works at the school... They were appalled!

Some people ain't got the sense God gave a rock. smh The fact that she said the dash isn't silent shuld be enough for ppl to know that she aint got good sense.

Anonymous said...

F.U, this weekend I wrote Le-a on a piece of paper and asked three different people to pronouce it. Oh course, they all said Lea. When I told them the correct pronunciation, they all cussed me out as if I named my baby -.

F.U. said...

blackgirlthinking - "Some people ain't got the sense God gave a rock" is my new phrase of the week.

iluv - I LOVE how you got others involved! Writing it down and asking others to participate in the stupidity is fantastic! By the way, I almost cussed Bella out for sendin me that ridiculous shit. Ledasha. Lefuckindasha spelled Le-a. Blech.