Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sorry D'Angelo

It seems me and many other turned on stans who started doin their kegels while fantasizing to D'Angelo's Untitled video are the reason why D'Angelo stopped making music, gained weight, and turned to drugs.

According to an interview in the August 2008 Spin Magazine with D'Angelo's former manager Dominique Trenier, that video ruined it all.

Do you remember? I mean, how can you not. Damn...



Well it wasn't even D'Angelo's idea to get nekkid. He was kind of "pushed" into the concept of letting it all hang out. It turned out to be a blessing and a curse.

“We couldn’t get through one song before women would start to scream for him to take off something” says Hargrove. “It wasn’t about the music. All they wanted was for him to take off his clothes.”

The cat calls had an undeniable effect on D’Angelo. “He’d get angry and started breaking sh*t,” Thompson remembers. “The audience thinking, “f*ck your art, I wanna see your ass!” made him angry”.

For D’Angelo, who, as Trenier puts it, “isn’t a sexy dude” but a “real musician who wears glasses and plays video games,” the objectification appeared to do lasting damage. “I didn’t realize how vulnerable he was or how deep his issues ran.” Says Leeds. “He’s cursed now with fretting over how much of his fan base is because of how he looked as opposed to his music. It took away his confidence, because he’s not convinced why any given fan is supporting him.

“I feel really guilty, because that was never the intention” Trenier says. “Untitled wasn’t supposed to be his mission statement for Voodoo. I’m glad the video did what it did, but he and I were both disappointed because, to this day, in the general public’s memory, he’s the naked dude.”


And then he became this...


I feel bad...kind of. I mean, I definitely wanted to see him nekkid at all times BUT I actually think D'Angelo is beyond talented and more than just something to look at. I still listen to Brown Sugar. In his Brown Sugar days he was fully clothed always. I just saw those lips and heard him playin that piano, he was hittin thos Prince like notes, singing bout shit I wanted to hear about and he couldn't even look directly into the camera in his videos and I loved it. D'Angelo was that dude.

So D'Angelo if you just happen to Google yourself and find this, I want you to know this. You are incredibly talented and the game needs you. I also want you to know that if every female entertainer lost her mind because people always wanted her to get nekkid then they would all be in mental institutions or walkin around with Meth poxs. (What's Amy Wino's excuse?) Mkay boo? Luh u, bye.

Source/Source/Source

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Please... if you're in the entertainment biz, how could you get so upset that people want to see you. Entertainers become items, images and objects that are meant to be marketed and sold, and in the end they like it when they get those FAT CHECKS...

Fugg him saying that he was pushed, at the end of the day he was real convincing in the video, heck he even seemed to enjoy it...

and that's why his body and that video remain in the minds of woman to do this day.

Men always want to objectify women, but when they show a little skin, it's the end of the world.

LASTLY, that nukka is just making excuses because HE LET HIMSELF GO and wants to be accepted for his music and not how he looks now...

I bet that he isn't in the gym working out because he rather put a crack pipe to his mouth, AND the PRESSURE to look good is just too much for him.

I'm not going to feel bad because he has inspired many-a-orgasmic image -OR- because he can't keep up with expectations...
nukka please.

P.S. Hey F.U. I only got up to the anal sex part of your show, I need to listen to the rest!!! ;)

babybrown of mommabrown.com

F.U. said...

Nukka please! BB, let him know girl! Supposedly he is coming out with a new record some time soon...I'll believe it when it happens....in the mean time, it is obvious he had other issues other than being a sex symbol. I hope he is working on those.

And seroiusly, who turns to crack cuz they are a sex symbol?

P.S. BabyBrown...you did get my 'apology' (to you and er'body else)for The F.U. Hour right? It just wasn't right....I'm still laughin and cryin bout it all. A mess! HA! Thank you for listening. Luh u BB!

Chocklit~Socialite said...

hahah...preach ladies!!!

i have loved d'angelo since day one...and that cat know he's sexxy...them lips? get the efff outta here...what the hell kinda reaction did he expect spinnin around oiled and sweaty and butt azz nekkid...he stunted...he just needs to find the music inside of him...because he's a damn great artist

*sigh*

how does it feel indeed!

F.U. said...

Are you listenin D'Angelo??? Chocklit~Socialite said to find the music inside of you! You're great and we love you!

You can also feel free to get over your nekkid fears by well, gettin nekkid. I promise, I'll just sing along and pretend that I'm not getting a hard on.

Pray for him C~S!