Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Are U Watchin Glam God?


Essence.com caught up with Vivica Fox to discuss her new show, Glam God with Vivica A. Fox which premieres tomorrow night (August 21) on VH1.

ESSENCE.COM: Tell us about the show.
FOX: I have a glam panel, and we took 12 stylists and we moved them into a beautiful loft in downtown Los Angeles. We gave them challenges for styling celebrities for red-carpet events. It came from the pages of today’s magazines. Who wore it better? Would you be caught dead in this? People are really fascinated with what celebrities wear. The way you dress can make or break a career sometimes.

ESSENCE.COM: As host of the show, what’s your job?
FOX: I’m kind of like the tough love babe. I let them know [what works] from the celebrity point of view. I also give them the clues for their hot-trend challenges. I’m kinda like Mother Love and say, “Here’s what we gonna do this week, baby.”

ESSENCE.COM: How would you describe your fashion sense?
FOX: I try to dress appropriately. I’m very theme-oriented. I’m very organized. If I’m going to the Oscars, I get a theme in mind. If I’m going to a rock ’n’ roll event, I get something a little edgier. I would say my fashion sense is glamorous, sexy cool.

ESSENCE.COM: Many of the Black women on VH1’s reality show are not always portrayed in a positive light. Did you have any concerns about that for your show?
FOX: Absolutely. It was one of the main reasons why I didn’t want to do a reality show that was TMI. We’re trying to educate the public about fashion and style, while not degrading anyone. The beautiful thing about my cast is that it’s diverse. There’s Spanish, Puerto Rican, Black, White, Asian. Everyone is truly represented.

ESSENCE.COM: You started your career in soaps—“Generations,” “Days of Our Lives,” “The Young and the Restless.” What did you learn on those shows?
FOX: Gosh, to have an excellent sense of memory. I have a memory like an elephant. I retain everything. Soap actors are some of the most underestimated talent. They do five shows a week, memorizing 30, 40 pages of dialogue, hitting their mark, crying, being oiled up sexy in the bed and doing a hair toss, too. That’s a lot to do every day, five days a week. It was like the boot camp of acting for me.

ESSENCE.COM: You’ve starred in numerous TV and film projects. Which are some of your favorites?
FOX: I can name top five, not just one. Definitely “Independence Day” and working with mega-superstar Will Smith. That opened the doors to my career. Everybody and they grandma went to see “Independence Day.” Also, in “Set It Off,” I got to work with Jada (Pinkett Smith), Kimberly (Elise). It was like the little movie that could and it has a cult following. In “Two Can Play That Game,” that was my very first starring role. That was really fun, working with Morris Chestnut and Mo’Nique and Gabrielle (Union) and Bobby Brown. It was a funny movie that I felt elevated Black comedies to another level. It was classy, thoughtful, funny and sexy. Then “Kill Bill.” I got to show everybody how I could scrap for real. I could get down and dirty with ya. I trained for six months for that film. It was the most physically demanding role I’ve ever played. Last but not least, “Why Do Fools Fall In Love?” I loved working with Halle (Berry), Lela Rochon, Larenz Tate, learning about prosthetics and playing a character that was extremely flawed. It wasn’t about the beauty.

I'm looking forward to watchin this show. First of all, you know Viv is gonna be doin waaaaay too much and will have me shocked and RuPauled (I promise that is the last time today) er'episode. I'm also interested in the Stylists. I mean, we have seen how the designs are created on Project Runway, we've seen the designs modeled on ANTM, but we've never seen how the stylist looks for new trends, what's hot and what's not for that particular celeb. I think that is a big problem with stylist....er'thing ain't for er'body! So, this should be interesting and I'm happy Viv stay wit a job. She gotta pay for that nip, tuck, pull and fluff!

Oh and Vivica listed her top 5 favorite movies that she has been in. I just have to say those top 5 are the best movies she's ever been in, HENCE, them being her top 5. I have to say, Kill Bill is my SHIZZ and even tho Viv is only in the movie for 7 minutes and 45 seconds, I love her fight scene. It jump starts the whole movie and I was pumped that Vivica was in a major production tryna beat Uma Thurmans ass! Love it! But my all time favorite Viv movie has to be Set It Off. That movie was the dopest ever. It is a classic.

To read the entire interview with Vivica click: Put That Where!

1 comments:

Miss P said...

i probably wont watch, but i will be looking forward to your re-caps! there are better than the actual shows!