Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Da Hell?!


Mkay, was I the only one who was not aware that corporal punishment aka ass whippin in school by school officials was legal? Actually, maybe I didn't know cuz its not legal in my state and even it is was, let a teacher had attempted to put a paddle to my ass.


According to a CNN report, "More than 200,000 children were spanked or paddled in U.S. schools during the past school year, human rights groups reported Wednesday.....Corporal punishment in schools remains legal in 21 U.S. states and is used frequently in 13: Missouri, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida, according to data received from the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Education and cited in the report.

The punishment is disproportionately applied to black students, according to the organizations. During the 2006-07 school year, for instance, black students made up 17.1 percent of the nationwide student population but 35.6 percent of those paddled at schools.

Black girls were paddled at twice the rate of their white counterparts in the 13 states using corporal punishment most frequently. And although boys are punished more often than girls, the report found that African-American students in general are 1.4 times more likely to receive corporal punishment.

In addition, special education students with mental or physical disabilities were more likely to receive corporal punishment, according to the ACLU and Human Rights Watch."


I can't. I mean we all know that Bernie Mac was more than right when he said that once a kid is old enough to talk back, they old enough to get fucked up BUT that is by a parent and/or family member. Kids do not go to school to get paddled or spanked - granted some of them kids prolly need da ass whippin of a lifetime - however, I don't like that because a teacher is frustrated they can just bust out the paddle and get to beatin. Hell and to da naw. And of course, the black kids get beat more and the teachers prolly use any ol' excuse to beat a black kid.

For example, one mother's son got beat for flickin rubber bands. FLICKING RUBBER BANDS!

"Andrea Cancellare said her then-13-year-old son was paddled -- or "swatted" -- three years ago for flicking rubber bands in class, despite the fact she had written a letter directing school officials in Alpine, Texas, not to use corporal punishment against him. School officials told her they could not find the letter when she complained.

When she approached the principal and superintendent, Cancellare said, they told her that "most parents like this because it takes care of the punishment. It gets the kids back in class. It doesn't disrupt instruction. It's like the quick and dirty way of dealing with discipline problems."

See and then they want to know why people are crazy. I told you don't hit my kid, even wrote it in a letter, now you can't find the letter, and you beat my kid for flickin rubber bands. Where da fuck is my .22?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm confused. It's child abuse to spank your own child but legal when somebody else does it- WTH??

Miss P said...

i remember in kindergarten the teacher used to tap our hands with rulers, but they also had the permission of the parents cuz it was the neighborhood school and it was that "it takes a community to raise a kid" mentality. that was also during the time when people didnt arrest you for spanking your kids. i dont have kids yet, but when i do, i plan to employ the bernie mac method. i wish a muthafuck WOULD walk up to me and say some shyt! they can get it too!

and i'll be damned if some unbalanced teacher is spanking my kid! bytch, you dont know me like that!

Amina said...

I'm from Missouri, where, yes we could get paddled....by the Principal. I really only remember once or twice where anyone got paddled, and I think both times were boys. He kept the paddle on the wall as a reminder, and most of the time he just threatened with it. I think it kept most kids in line, cuz parents would beat that tail on the regular. These days parents don't whup their kids as much, so they don't fear it anymore.
In my school, it really was a last resort. Most parents didn't write a letter of objection because the threat of getting paddled and embarrassed by the Principal was enough to keep us in line.

F.U. said...

Amina, I can't believe you have actually witnessed kids gettin paddled by the Principal. That is so crazy to me, and while I see what you mean when you say that it is a last resort type thing but where I come from and in my own mind - just hell and to da naw.

If suspension or removal from activities or detention doesn't work then there is no other resort. You tell the parents to get the kid up out the school. Spankin or paddlin should just never be an option.